Underlay as temporary flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I've recently bought a house which contains some very old carpets. Not only are the old but I think they contain pet dander which is causing allergies in the family. Had a go with a RugDoctor but I don't think it made much difference.

I'm going to take the up downstairs, as there is parquet underneath, but I need a temporary solution for upstairs.

Due to other work we are doing upstairs (decoration and some other stuff), plus budget, we aren't really ready to pick and lay carpet, but the floorboards are not in good enough condition for the kids to be running around on.

Would it be feasible to lay some good quality underlay for now, and use that as a temporary flooring cover for a couple of months, until we are ready to have the carpet laid over the top?

Are there any serious flaws in the plan, are are there any better solutions (I like the idea of underlay rather than buying rugs, because at least we can reuse it with the carpets).

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Whilst underlay is fairly stable when laid under a carpet, it's not particularly resilient when walked on. Why not try the underlay, but just accept there maybe areas you end up changing if they get accidently damaged etc.

Sponsored Links
I would stick to the Cloud 9, it's a recognised brand and at 11mm thick, just about as thick an underlay that you can buy.

If you want a soft bouncy feel, it's the right stuff, although long term, carpets will keep their appearance better and wear more evenly on a firmer, more supportive underlay like Axminster Axfelt65.
Nothing wrong with the Cloud 9 though, like I say.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back