Underlay thickness when refitting carpet?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all. I'm getting my carpet re-fitted after decorating. Though was wondering whether to get thicker underlay. If my old underlay was say 8mm would getting a 12mm underlay be a problem with an already cut carpet when fitting?

Sponsored Links
ok cheers. I guess its only a few millimeters :D how do they kick a precut carpet over the gripper without ruining the skirting paint? I just painted my skirting :-S

Sponsored Links
Did you gloss or use a eggshell paint?

The kicker won't mark the skirting, the bolster may.

If the skirtings were glossed, a good 7 days should help the paint harden sufficiently to minimise marking.

If the skirtings have been eggshell'ed, were they rubbed down and primed before painting? Eggshell even when prepped properly, are susceptable to marking as it isnt a very hard finish, however it can be touched in easily. If flakes of eggshell end up lifting, it's because the paint prep has'nt been done right, you need to expect a minimal amount of damageof some sort, but most fitters should'nt have an issue that can't quickly be resolved with a quick paint touch up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back