unequal pressure on hot and cold ??? bathfiller/shower mixer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to put a combined bath filler/shower mixer onto bath replacing twin taps and replace the electric shower presently fitted. The bath filler/shower mixer I have in mind is a standard manual mixer not thermostatic.

the flow rate on the hot water measured off my bathroom basin (both on 15mm feeds) is:
20 seconds to fill basin off cold.. direct mains fed not cw storage tank
30 seconds to fill basin off hot water.. fed from hot water cylinder.

The hot water cylinder is located on the landing floor level same level as the bathroom floor. The hot water isolation valve (gate valve) is above the cylinder, goes up into the roof space and down again to the bathroom on 22mm copper.

Question is????

If I put a shower head above the bath is it likely that the hot water will struggle to feed the shower head??? (Negative head)

Will a manual mixer with cold water set low and hot water at max give sufficient flow other than a trckle of water at a reasonable temp??? say 38 degrees????

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Sponsored Links
WHAT YOU NEED TO CHECK IS THE DISTANCE FROM SHOWER HEAD TO THE WATER LEVEL IN YOUR COLD WATER TANK IN THE LOFT, THE GRATER THE HIGHT THE MORE HEAD OF WATER ,LESS THEN 3FT WILL BE VERY POOR,LOOK AT THE QUESTION WHERE A GUY RECOMENDES A VENTURI SHOWER

loafer said:
I want to put a combined bath filler/shower mixer onto bath replacing twin taps and replace the electric shower presently fitted. The bath filler/shower mixer I have in mind is a standard manual mixer not thermostatic.

the flow rate on the hot water measured off my bathroom basin (both on 15mm feeds) is:
20 seconds to fill basin off cold.. direct mains fed not cw storage tank
30 seconds to fill basin off hot water.. fed from hot water cylinder.

The hot water cylinder is located on the landing floor level same level as the bathroom floor. The hot water isolation valve (gate valve) is above the cylinder, goes up into the roof space and down again to the bathroom on 22mm copper. By the way.........the hot water distribution pipe must not be fitted with any service valve(gate valve) otherwise you may inadvertantly block the vent pipe and if that happens hot water will have no place where to expand!!!!
Question is????

If I put a shower head above the bath is it likely that the hot water will struggle to feed the shower head??? (Negative head)

Will a manual mixer with cold water set low and hot water at max give sufficient flow other than a trckle of water at a reasonable temp??? say 38 degrees????

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Sponsored Links
Your supplies aren't suitable for a mixer. Venturi shower should be good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back