Uneven floor. Possible causes.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looked at a house yesterday. In need of updating the estate agent would say. Fairly untouched for a few years and a deceased estate. All in though it was a fairly good buy. Biggest obvious issue was uneven floors downstairs. The front room was raised in the middle by maybe 4 inches. A near perfect dome. Rear room had a bit of a dip. Lifted the carpet and the wood floor was in good condition. No spring, damp or wobble. The house seemed structurally ok, no lean or cracks. Didn't seem damp and it's been stood for 100 years. City terrace, no hills or streams but backs onto a local railway line. What might be causing this deformation? Alarm bells? What to check on a second look?

Sponsored Links
Question?

Are the floor boards resting on floor joists? or as I have seen are the floor boards laid direct on to a solid floor? [ Some sort of compacted fill]

Ken

There are vents in the floor by the windows and from what I could see there was a floor void at least directly under the vent. Hard to tell the construction from memory and what I looked at but everything pointed to it being joists. I'll have a better look next time.

If you can determine what the floor boards are resting on, joists or a solid floor that would assist.

The presence of vents in external walls does not indicate that the flooring is attached to Suspended Joists

Ken

Sponsored Links
The vents are in the floor itself inside the room, not the walls so there is some kind of void at least there. Will look closer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back