Uneven floor what to do with the joists and floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have an old victorian house with floorboards in the living room and seem to have two problems with the floor.

The first is that the floor drops off at about a 30 degree angle in the corner of the room, having looked under the boards it seems that the joist in this corner has dropped for some reason. The joist itself seems really solid and i can't see any sign of rot. How would you suggest i try and level the floor out here? Would I be able to lay something on top of the boards to bring this part of the floor up to the same level as the rest?

The other problem is that in the middle of the room a wall has been removed to knock two rooms in to one. Here the end of the joist for each room rest on a sleeper wall. However for one of the rooms the joists don't sit on the wall and bounce around when you walk on the floor. Is there some way that the joists should be attached to the wall or can i just pack the space between the joists and the wall to stop the movement?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Sponsored Links
have you really had a good look?if its dropped as much as you say it has then it sounds like the plate has rotted out or maybe a problem with the sleeper wall?
take up a few more boards and using a torch and a mirror have a good look around underneath.
then report back and tell us what you have found.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back