Uneven Floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry for editting and reposting.
This is what my builder said he would do: "break up floor area, hardcore with dolimite, damp proof membrane, insulation, concrete"

He knows that I intend to tile, trouble is that some of the floor is uneven with lumps and bumps several mm and almost 1cm. I'm worried that this is going to affect my tiles?

Any thoughts welcome as i'm meeting with the builder first thing in the morning.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
He who pays the piper calls the tune, get everything sorted out before he commences...pinenot :)

Thanks...hence posting on here. I'm not sure what's standard for finishing a concrete floor. Should it be a perfectly level finish? Should it be screed over the top?

Also noticed that in a few patches the surface is dusty. If i brush, it leaves marks on the floor. Does this mean it hasn't set properly? It's been down nearly a week and the builder said would be ok to use by this weekend.

Cheers

For tiling the surface should be level and at worst a brush finish. That means a surface that is within 3mm +- of strait over a 3m length in any direction, any worse than that and you would require to either screed or a self leveling compound.

Concrete that can be marked after 3 days of curing is faulty unless were talking about a white/grey scratch mark, say from scraping over with a key...pinenot :)

Sponsored Links
Just met the builder. He's going to sand down the lump in the floor to make it level...sounds ok. The dusty area he said was normal but i'm not convinced. Is it possible this just needs longer to cure given the cold weather. It's been 6 days and when brushed the surface in one part of the floor comes away as dust. I'm planning on tiling eventually, is there something i can use to seal/harden the surface? or any other solutions?
Cheers

You can buy a concrete hardener/dustproofer which you roller/paint on, but I would proffer this - that is the builders duty.
Somethings not right, that's not to say he's done something wrong, but whatever it is he is responsible, so you may suggest but let him make the choises.
Old floors to be tiled (Aye and some new ones) sometimes need a self leveling screed prior to tiling, as the tile cement should be applied as evenly as poss...pinenot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back