uneven floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just bought an 1890ish cottage in need of much work for retirement starting next week. In a ground floor room i could feel under the carpet that the floor was uneven, this was commented on by my surveyor but he seemed to think nothing of it. My idea was to expose floorboards so I stripped off the carpet and a hardboard layer where I found areas of what looked like powdery screed in dips. Anyway the floorboard are all cut about and to my untrained eye it looks as though there was some sort of settlement at the ends of a couple of joists. Can anyone give me an idea of choices, I've read that I could use 6mm ply with latex screed on top

Sponsored Links
Thank you for the swift response. Just a quick point, as I will be levelling up to half way will a thin edge to the creed remain intact
Regards

Sponsored Links
sorry for that . the floor is fine except for just one corner which heads downhill, if I cover this area with ply and the screed will the thin edge at the junction be liable to flake away

sorry for that . the floor is fine except for just one corner which heads downhill, if I cover this area with ply and the screed will the thin edge at the junction be liable to flake away

Think i understand, so you are asking if the smoothing compound will chip up / flake away as you will need to feather the edge (smooth out the edge) ?

If so then no it wont providing -

You use use the correct primer
You prime past where the compound will finish

Smoothing compounds are happy to be 'feather' finished (finished to 1mm deep) providing you have primed. However the fibers will leave a slightly rough finish where you finish to a feather. There is another product called "skim coat" that can be used to eliminate this. Al depends on what your installing on top on if this is required.

Smoothing compounds are not like normal sand and cement, they are modified and more like plaster (very fine)

Hope that helps.

Thank you very much for your help,I feel better about tackling the job now
Cheers
Owen

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back