Uneven Plaster and Stair Stringer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I had the hall, stairs and landing skimmed earlier this year and I am getting to the decorating stage.

I noticed a couple of things where the plaster meets the stringer... the plaster/wall isn't parallel to the stringer and the plaster close to the stringer is quite bumpy/poor. I am trying to hide the variation as much as possible.

I feel like quadrant isn't the best solution as it will not be parallel to the stringer and will require a lot of filling between itself and the wall where the profile of the wall varies a lot.

Shall I just scrap away/sand fill the plaster so it is at least smooth and then caulk the joint?

Some bits of the plaster are so bumpy they need scraping back with a chisel..

Sponsored Links
That's all you can do - have you got a power sander that takes ali. oxide paper off a roll ? ( half sheet orbital sander) that will do the job run along the wall against the stringer - even better one with dust extraction into your hoover.

That's all you can do - have you got a power sander that takes ali. oxide paper off a roll ? ( half sheet orbital sander) that will do the job run along the wall against the stringer - even better one with dust extraction into your hoover.

Thanks Nige F

I have a roll of super fine plaster sandpaper (not sure if it's Ali Oxide) but the only power sander I have is a B&D mouse. I do have a manual sander which holds strips of paper so I could use that?

Sponsored Links
Yes you could use the manual sander - just a bit more elbow grease;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back