Unexpected way to solve TV/Freeview reception problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My first post here. Not a question, but an unexpected solution to a problem which a lot of people complain about online.

In the past couple of months, I began to lose digital TV reception. Lots of pixelation, then channels started to disappear. Odd thing was, I could view channels via my Humax PVR, but not directly through the aerial. So I put up with the problem for a while. Then the channel reception via the Humax began to fail. I checked everything, from the aerial(relatively new, outdoor, high gain), all the way from the roof, via the amplifier in the loft and an electronic splitter, down to ground floor level. Everything seemed fine. I began to suspect the TV had a problem(Sony Bravia).

In a last effort to trace the problem, before I considered getting the TV itself checked out, I switched off the amplifier and the splitter, and reset the TV. Surprisingly, it found a few digital channels. I then entirely removed the amplifier and the splitter from the aerial cable run to ground floor level, and reset the TV. It found ALL the digital channels, with perfect reception!! Problem solved. :LOL:

We tend to assume that the problem with reception is down to weak or intermittent signal strength. However, it would appear that the electronic devices(particularly the amplifier) were the cause of the problem - Maybe over-amplifying the signal?? Anyway, as the digital switchover continues, you may find that your signal strength no longer requires amplification. Worth checking, if you suddenly have a channel reception problem.

I now just need to find a splitter which does not amplify the signal.

I hope my experience helps someone else to solve their TV reception problems.

Sponsored Links
how many TVs does your splitter feed? if its just a couple, you may be ok with a resistive splitter, resistive is better if there are unequal cable lengths feeding the TVs.
If its more than this, you may need a amp with an adjustable output, these are easy to come by with an output from +1dB upwards (the one I have has max 6dB gain.)

Sponsored Links
I could view channels via my Humax PVR, but not directly through the aerial.
You can't view anything through an aerial; you have to connect a TV to it. If the analogue signal has been switched off, you'll need a Freeview tuner inside, or connected to, the TV.

When analogue was switched off in each area, the Freeview signal strength was increased, causing problems for some people who had fitted an amplifier.

Amplifiers do fail, especially if they become too hot in a loft or if water gets inside when they are located outdoors.

A 2-way passive splitter loses around 4dB of signal. If you have plenty of signal, this shouldn't matter. The passive splitter should be connected as far from the aerial as practicable in order to minimise the risk of interference affecting the weaker signal in the final run of cable.

Examples: http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page15a.htm#ysplit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back