UNFIXED JOIST HELP !!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I've recently tore up my living room floor due to rot, this was due to blocked air-bricks which are now fixed.

my problem is the joists are sitting on bricks unfixed to ANYTHING ? so you can't really stand on them cause they wobble so need to walk in-between them. The old floor before felt very solid even though the joists were't fixed to anything do i leave them how the are or do they need secured by brackets for instance to the wall ?

I've got the T&G floor board waiting to lay.

THANK YOU in advance,

David

Attachments

• DSCF3090.JPG
    DSCF3090.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 127
  • DSCF3094.JPG
    DSCF3094.JPG
    170.2 KB · Views: 141
  • DSCF3096.JPG
    DSCF3096.JPG
    149.8 KB · Views: 140
Sponsored Links
David, hi

Your post has gone unanswered for some time now.

Several points to consider??

1/. Ensure that there is a DPC under all the contact points between the joists and their bearing surfaces.
2/.OK. your joist set up is unusual but not a one-off scenario, suggest you consider fitting the English style so called herring bone strutting, personally I do not like it, I prefer to install noggins at at least each end of the joists and, dependant on the Joist span at least one noggin centrally, or there abouts as for the depth of the noggin, see 3/. below?
3/. have you considered introducing some form of Under Floor Insulation, given you have come this far, in a necessarily scenario you can make a large difference in at least this area of the property by fitting say, glass wool suspended on netting [fairly basic] or, how about fitting something like Kingspan or a similar ridged board insulant, the various thicknesses and benefits are available on the makers web site? following on from 2/. above the depth of the noggin will be decided by what ever insulant you may see fit to install?

Hope this assists, and who knows having been answered more ideas may follow from other board members?

Ken.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back