Unknown tool for radiator tails?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm stumped with this unknown socket type. I've bought a manual valve + lockshield set. I expected the tails to use an ordinary radiator tail allen key, which I have.

But it's this shape instead. Does anyone know the name of this? Hopefully I'll embarrass myself with how common and well known this is, but I have no idea. It's circular with 2 curved sections coming inwards.

265103-f9ae8292009bf143a6ecf02200e4ef90.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0015.JPG
    DSC_0015.JPG
    286.8 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks Mottie, I did notice these stepped keys but they are also hex shaped, where as these tails have a rounded socket.

I'm stumped with this unknown socket type. I've bought a manual valve + lockshield set. I expected the tails to use an ordinary radiator tail allen key, which I have.

But it's this shape instead. Does anyone know the name of this? Hopefully I'll embarrass myself with how common and well known this is, but I have no idea. It's circular with 2 curved sections coming inwards.

Does your ordinary radiator key not have grooves in it for this job? They are available.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Mottie, I did notice these stepped keys but they are also hex shaped, where as these tails have a rounded socket.
Won't the hex fit inside the rounded socket? Might be cheaper and quicker to cut your losses (return them if possible) and buy another pair of valves with Allen hey fitting from Screwfix. £6 the pair

Last edited:
How odd, is there not a tool which fits this exactly then. Is this shape just designed for a number of tools to fit into it and for the tool to grab the curved lugs as you turn?

My radiator hex tool does have groves in. However, the hex is just a little too big for the tails. So it doesn't go in and can't be used at all the one end.

However, the other end of the hex has a square end (with a hole in the centre), which is slightly smaller. It looks like this will grab the lugs in the tails securely enough as I turn. However, it doesn't feel or look right and is loose. It doesn't seem to be the correct tool for the shape but I'm wondering if this is intentionally designed this was, just to grab the lugs (I was expecting there to be a named tool that would fit perfectly into this shape).

The tool used to be called a Spud - but I never found out if there was a proper name for it.

Thanks all, yes spud wrench seems to be it. I was thrown off and was looking for a tool that would fit the shape perfectly. However, the square end of the ordinary radiator allen key seems to work perfectly well at grabbing the lugs and driving it tightly.

I'd be tempted to buy the normal key and take an angle grinder to it.

Nozzle

No way of using an adjustable spanner on the tail going to the rad?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back