RADIATOR "TAILS"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just reolaced 2 radiators using knowledge gleaned from this site. However I have a slight problem. I removed the old tails using an Allen key and spanner and replaced them in the new radiators. I carefully wound 5 layers of PTFE tape around before screwing back into place. Unfortunately on filling the system I discoved a slight leak from each tail inserted with the allen key for the lockshield. i drained down,removed the lockshield valve and put more pressure onto the allen key to tighten the tail, unfortunately upon refilling the system i have not solved the problem. What would you suggest? Do I repeat the procedure applying even more pressure or could I over tighten? Should I remove the tail and re apply PTFE with more layers? Is there a compound that I could use, that may be more reliable than PTFE? Hope that some one can advise me on how to complete this project successfully?

Sponsored Links
I would apply much more PTFE Tape, until the tail only just enters the thread in the rad.

Sometimes the threads in the rads are not well finished, and tear the tape as you fit the tail.

Some would Favour LSX instead of PTFE

Some use both

Hemp & boss white, anyone?

I use 15 or 20 wraps of PTFE. Some like to add a bit of compound aswell. It should need a fair bit of force to tighten it if you've done it right :)

Sponsored Links
when i read 15-20 wraps of PTFE tape i immediately thought that was far too much, then i proceeded to imagine i was doing it and decided i must use 12-14 at least, weird how you just do stuff without thinking, but 5 was never going to seal a rad tail, i've never used locktite 55 string but think i will try it as it seems to get good reviews

a decent step wrench is handy too, better than them silly allen keys

Many thanks to all who have offered advice, particularly the advice that came back on a Saturday evening. I have, this morning, re done the job using about a dozen turns of tape. All appears well, I have refilled the system, heated it up and let it cool down again and so far no sign of any suggestion of dampness!! Long may it last!!
Thanks again,
JSGJ

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back