Radiator tail Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi new to the forums and looking for a bit of help.
I have taken off my radiator to replace with a new one.
I've removed the tail from the TRV side which is done with a regular spanner.
But I can not remove the other tail as the radiator allen key you would normally use is to small it just catches the edges and swivels around in the aperture.
Do I have to buy a bigger allen key "if there is one" or do I have to change the complete valve?
Or is there something I am missing?

Thx

Sponsored Links
just buy to new tails.
gros10-1.gif

If you don't have the right tail key

Use 2 pairs of grips to tighten the valve on to the tail - really tight - then turn the nut that is on the tail. It will unscrew.

Thx guys for your replies,I will buy a new valve n tail.
Seems the easiest way "for a Plasterer anyway"

Cheers
Gaz

Sponsored Links
If you don't have the right tail key

Use 2 pairs of grips to tighten the valve on to the tail - really tight - then turn the nut that is on the tail. It will unscrew.

Not been in the trade long I guess. :LOL:

Purely for the record - they key you normally buy is 13mm, but some rad tails have a 12mm hex inside. John :)

It may well be, to be sure - the key I have is rather bashed about, but the smaller internal hex is a perfect fit for a 12mm allen key. John :)

Afaik the tolerance levels on tools and and fastenings are such that it depends pretty much on the batch whether a 1/2" hex can be done by a 12 mm or 13 mm.

If the hex is a bit on the large side, and the tool a bit on the small side (or a bit worn ) you can squeeze a 12 mm in, if it is the opposite, a 13 will do the job.

I have never seen any reliable literature that specifies the size of the hex size on rad tails, so I can only go by general knowledge and deduction.

Tamz has got the best idea!!!!

Get your adjustable spanner onto the valve nut and tighten it to the max and then keep on going. that pesky radiator tail that you don't have the right tool for just comes undone!!!
Bloody fantastic idea Tamz. I was stuck for ages struggling with this problem. Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back