unusual two way switching

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys, I have come across an unusual wiring pattern for two way switching. Can you help?

One switch has been moved and we can not figure out where the various cables should go.

Switch 1 -
Black cable carrying live feed
Two red cables neither live

Switch 2 - this switch has been unaltered
Three cables, all red, two into L1 one into L3 no cable into L2, one of the cables from L1, not sure where it goes to or comes from.

Two red cables in switch 1 when switched 2 is switched on register as a circuit ie the two cables obviously switch throu swutch 2

The problem is that no matter what pattern Ii use for the cables in switch 1 I can't get the two way switching to work - it is either permanently on or permanently off

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Hi,
Although you say switch 2 has not been altered, it looks as if this is wrongly wired. In switch one (if I understand it correctly) there is a permanent live to the common terminal thus operating this switch changed to output to one or the other red wired terminal (L1 + L2). At switch two I would expect that this would be mirrored with the two reds going to different terminals (L1+L2?). The common from this switch then goes to the lamp.
Hope this helps
V

The permananet live is in switch 2. There is then acommon connection to switch 1. When switch 1 is then in the 'on' poition this returns a live feed to switch 2 in a second wire. i..e there are then two live wires in switch 2.

Asusming connectors are marked L1,2,3
Are you saying that from the permanent live the common link should go to L2 and the connection from L1 (common) should go direct to the lamp?

Just to check - the black in switch one - Is it permanently live or switched live? If the first then something is missing and you need to trace. Hopefully it is the switched live and connected to L1(common). This means that if we have the permanent live to switch 2 connected to L1 (common) then one red from L2 goes to L2 in switch one. The other (L3) goes to L3 in switch one and in switch one the black (sleeved) goes to the lamp. At any one time switch 2 makes only one connection to switch one live.
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Sponsored Links
No sorry. I think you have misunderstood.

Switch 1 is the one that has been disconnected and attempted re-connect again - it has 3 cables
black - permanent live The only reason this is black is that some numpty has used a neutral single strand cable to feed a live from a switch on the other side of the wall.
red - linked to switch 2 (L1 common)
2nd red

Switch 2 has not been touched other than taking the cover off to inspect the wiring.
Red to L1 Common (from switch 1)
Red to L1 Common (not sure where this goes - presumably to the lamp)
Red to L3
Nothing to L2

When switch 2 is 'on' the two reds in switch 1 read as continuous

Hi,
I think we're back to original conclusion. Switch 2 (even though umoved) has been wired wrongly for a two way circuit. This has led the person moving switch one to be confused. I think it should be:
Switch 1
Black permanent live feed L1 common
Red L2 to Sw2 L2
Red L3 to Sw 2 L3

Switch 2
Red L1 common to lamp
As above.
Assuming that there is a CPC you can check that this works as moving either switch will swop the connections via the strapper (cable connecting 2 switches.
One thought. Switch 2 is a 2 way with all screws isn't it? Is L2 actually a terminal or just the marking on the plastic? If someone in the past has found themselves with a one way or dodgy / missing screw switch they may have put the wiring as you found it just so it would work as a one way.
Best of luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back