Unvented cylinder discharging into soil stack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, hoping that someone can help. I know similar questions have been asked a zillion times on forums, but I can't find a definitive answer for my bit of the equation.

I believe an unvented cylinder can be discharged into a soil stack via a tundish, a Hepworth trap, and via suitable polypropylene push-fit pipe certified to higher temperatures etc. I've read the english and scottish guidance, the NHBC technical guidance, and various manufacturer's installation instructions.

What I cannot find out, is more specifically what material the soil stack needs to be. The G3 regs say "the discharge pipe should not be connected to a soil discharge stack unless it can be demonstrated that the soil discharge stack is capable of safely withstanding temperatures of the water discharged", and I found something else suggesting this is at least 100 degrees.

So what material (other than cast iron) fits the bill? I have a (presumably fairly standard) internal PVC soil stack. Discharging externally isn't ideal for various reasons.

I should say I am not a plumber and I am not looking to do any work myself. I am a homeowner who likes to be as informed as possible, and I am trying to work out whether what has been proposed to me is up to code.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
75 degrees max continuous - greater temp. limited to 2 minutes. From Marley Soil FAQ.;)

"Although they are tested at 93.0 to 95.0ºc {British Standard test} this is an intermitted hot and cold cycle test. For a continuous discharge, water should be no hotter than 70 to 75ºC. Higher temperature water will not cause problems as long as it is restricted to 2 minutes discharge."

Which suggests my existing PVC soil pipe cannot be "demonstrated to safely withstand the higher temperatures"?

Assuming that in the event of a fault, it could/would discharge for more than the 2 mins, which presumably depends on what the fault is that might cause it to discharge.

The High Temp PP push fit is all that's required for your D2.
Standard UPVC is fine for the 110mm soil pipe.

It'll only discharge at a drip rate or slow trickle at worst.

ANYONE WORKING ON UVC.....must be G3 qualified, it's not a DaftyDIYers job!!

Sponsored Links
Thank you. It sounds like you agree with what my plumber is suggesting. I have had some conflicting advice from another plumber. Both are G3 qualified.

But also, as I said, "I am not a plumber and I am not looking to do any work myself", so no shouty capital letters required thank you very much. Keep your hair on :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back