Unvented system loosing pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a complete new installation approx 3 years ago of an unvented c/heating + hot water system.

The condensing boiler is a potterton and a megaflow for the hot water.

The trouble is the boiler is always loosing pressure. I have to top the water up at least once a month.

There were previously small leaks on the boiler connections , but these are now dry. I'm sure I don't have any leaks on the internal piping.

The only place I can think that water is escaping is on the external outlet pipes on the boiler and hotwater tank as these have small drips now and again but I am not sure if this is normal.

I can't seem to find a plumber who is experianced with my system (don't ask about the installer!!)

What checks can I do to trace the cause of the problem?

Sponsored Links
You should have had the boiler and unvented serviced anually.

Have you checked to PRV vent which usually goes to the outside behind boiler.

I saw a boiler installation in Reading yesterday with the boiler fitted in the loft and the condensate pipe taken nowhere and left to drip onto a roll of carpet!

Tony

Hi Tony - I have checked that , that is what I was refering to as the "external outlet pipes on the boiler"

This only drips now and again , and I'm sure this only happens if I have topped the system up a bit too much , so I assume the system automatically releases a bit of water to bring the pressure down.

I know I should have the boiler serviced every year - and believe me I try. But when I mention condensing and megaflow in the same breath the plumbers are not interested.

Plumbers work on plumbing, water supplies, draining and bathrooms etc!

Try looking for a Boiler Engineer with a G3 Certificate which many have.

This is a normal job for most of us regulars here.

Tony

Sponsored Links
boiler engineer - we are still plumbers

just what these new boys that have been in the trade only 2 mins like to call their selves BOILER ENGINEERS

who love their corgi badge on their van more than their wives.

hi-spec plumbing heating said:

just what these new boys that have been in the trade only 2 mins like to call their selves BOILER ENGINEERS

Sorry have to disagree with that statement.

I class myself as a heating/gas engineer as all my qualifications are gas, boilers and unvented cylinders. I am not a timed served plumber so cannot call myself that and mislead the public.

least you admit to not been time served as a lot won't.

but ask them anything to do with water regs / or drainage regs they run amile.

Why do some, not meaning anyone on here, have to mis-represent themselves to the customer.

I tell my customers what I can do and what I can't eg bathrooms etc.

They are more than happy when you are up front with them. I still refuse to join the £orgi plumbing competent persons scheme though, even though I could with no qualifications :rolleyes:

I also only use my Part P for dropping a fused spur into a kitchen for a boiler. I tell the customer that I am Part P but this does not make me a qualified sparky so don't ask me to do any other electrical jobs ;)

gas4you said:
hi-spec plumbing heating said:

Sorry have to disagree with that statement.

I class myself as a heating/gas engineer as all my qualifications are gas, boilers and unvented cylinders. I am not a timed served plumber so cannot call myself that and mislead the public.

i also don't call myself a plumber as:
1 i do not do general plumbing
2 i won't touch toilets, baths, wash basins or sinks
3. i don't do drains

and similarly although i hold G3 and Part P i only do unvented/solar cylinders and the associated electrics for them and the gas work i do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back