Up With the Burglars this Morning/Replacing Euro-ProfileLock

We had the police approved home security survey done yesteday.

He advised the following:

- Sash Jammers & locks on all windows (x9).

- A second deadbolt lock fitted to the front door (already got a 5 lever mortice)

- A latch & chain fitted to front door.

All for the pricely sum of £150 fitted.

So, do we think sash jammers are worth having? I already have them on some new french doors we had installed last year and I reallly think they are a bit of a chocolate fireguard.

A second deadbolt I can understand although my door is just look the one above - a good quality hardwood door and we do have a new Era 5 lever mortice fitted to it.

I fully understand that if someone wants to get in, they will; I'm just looking to make it as difficult and as noisy as possible.

Sponsored Links
I am a bit surprised he suggests two deadlocks on the front door . I wonder if it is a mistake, or if he means a deadlocking nightlatch?

If you do need two, then try to get them suited to the same key. A proper locksmith can do this although it will be more expensive than buying unsuited locks from a discounter. I have my mortice locks suited and it means you only have to carry one key around, and also that people are more likely to have the key to hand, and to use it. If you have two deadlocks and a latch, people will fall into the lazy habit of only using the latch unless they are making a special effort.

The price of £150 is surprisingly low, especially if the nightlatch is a British Standard one (these are bulkier and much more expensive than the cheap and useless ones). I am very fond of the Chubb 4L67e rimlock, though it is rather expensive. It meets the British Standard and has a square deadlocking bolt, but the user can treat it like a Yale nightlatch, it is as easy to use when opening and closing the door with the key or internal knob. It has a very small and secure key, the knob can be deadlocked from the inside to prevent attack through broken glass or manipulation, and the special cylinder is proof against snapping, bumping or wrenching (unlike ordinary Eurocylinders especially which are much more vulnerable). It is also pretty well unpickable, though nobody really picks locks these days. If you can buy one for less than £100, do (list is about £160)

As you mention sash jammers I presume you have plastic doors/windows? otherwise a lockable metal bolt with removable key is preferable, and some can be morticed into the timber for concealment and strength. They take longer to fit though. My insurance policy actually requires them, doesn't yours? Ask your insurers for their "Minimum Standard Required" security leaflet.

Due to expiry of trade name licence, the Chubb locks are being rebranded "Union C series" but design and manufacture is unchanged.

I didn't actually meet the guy, but the quote simply says "5 lever deadbolt" so I'm presuming it's BS approved mortice.

Yes, all windows are first generation uPVC which means they have awful, useless handles/locks.

Yes, the price is surprisingly reasonable. I think they're subsidised by the local council. I totted up and parts alone were going to cost me > £100 so it's a no brainer really...

EDIT - just had it confirmed that the lock is a "5 lever BS3621 deadlock "

I'd recommend you ask him why he thinks you need two mortice deadlocks, and ask what he thinks of 1 x BS Mortice Deadlock and 1 x BS Deadlocking Nightlatch. You will find it very inconvenient to have two deadlocks with different keys, and will end up only using one of them.

There might be some reason I haven't thought of (or maybe the council pays him to fit a deadlock as part of the package... even if it isn't needed)

Sponsored Links
Can you tell me more about the nightlatch? Can you not open this from the inside if you pot the window?

EDIT - do you mean one of these

No, the Chubb 4L67 or 4L67E is this one (the "E" suffix means it has a long, 20mm bolt, but they all have it now no is not essential)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chubb-4L67-...9474225?ie=UTF8&qid=1304588849&sr=1-1-catcorr

http://www.directlocks.co.uk/chubb-4l67-british-standard-deadbolt-rim-lock-nightlatches-p-1441.html

http://www.lockshop-warehouse.co.uk...se_British_Standard_Night_latch_4L67E_17.html

You can deadlock the knob to with the key to prevent anyone opening it, whether they have broken the glass, put something through the letterbox, or climbed in through a window. This is an important feature on a nightlatch.

The Yale one you showed works in a similar way, though IMO not as good.

Thanks...

OK, but you'd still have two keys to lock/unlock the door so, as you rightly say, will most likely end up using only one of them...

yep

so it had better be a really good one!

The Chubb deadlocks automatically as soon as you close the door, the square bolt springs out and deadlocks solid so it can not be levered back.

The Yale shown is a good lock.
The chubb 4l67 is good but has been known to go wrong especially if the bolt is ejected in error and the door slams. Yale is the better IMHO.
Two mortise locks, theory behind this is top lock shoulder height, bottom knee height, with the nightlatch in the middle. As were all locks at one time. So valid reasoning.
The deadlocks can be passed for about 20 quid at any decent locksmiths.
Another good idea is to use "lockguards", metal plates around the lock bodies ( when you mortise the locks in you excavate timber and weaken the door, impossible to avoid) Lockguards stop this effect.

Alarm

(Locksmith and Security Engineer 27 yrs)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back