Upgrade 60A fuse; Crabtree Starbreaker backward-compatible?

UKPN deny all knowledge and responsibility for the clamp...

We would not have installed the clamp on to the lead cable, as it is not a process we follow. Therefore we do not maintain it. The only two types of sheathed earth we fit include constant memory spring and sweated earth. If a clip or clamp has been installed, we would not maintain it.

...but are sending a man in a van out to see about swapping the TN-S to PME / TN-C-S

Due to the circumstances, what I can arrange for you is for one of our engineers to attend your property to carry out a PME availability check. Protective multiple earthing is the most efficient and modern way of earthing your property and is free to install.

Not as safe as a good TN-S supply perhaps, but it's probably effectively TN-C-S anyhow halfway up the street, and a good TN-C-S is better than a bad TN-S?

Sponsored Links
UKPN deny all knowledge and responsibility for the clamp...

We would not have installed the clamp on to the lead cable, as it is not a process we follow. Therefore we do not maintain it. The only two types of sheathed earth we fit include constant memory spring and sweated earth. If a clip or clamp has been installed, we would not maintain it.

...but are sending a man in a van out to see about swapping the TN-S to PME / TN-C-S

Due to the circumstances, what I can arrange for you is for one of our engineers to attend your property to carry out a PME availability check. Protective multiple earthing is the most efficient and modern way of earthing your property and is free to install.

Not as safe as a good TN-S supply perhaps, but it's probably effectively TN-C-S anyhow halfway up the street, and a good TN-C-S is better than a bad TN-S?

Have you asked about the fuse upgrade yet?

My betting is if you get a PME earth, they'll change the cut out, and you'll magically get a 100A fuse

Enquired. Wholly possible but chargeable (cost to be advised after the site visit) - default fuse is 60A unless there was something larger there previously/you're paying to upgrade. We;ll see what their tech says anyhow. :)

UKPN man came.

Where you're fed with TNS via a lawn, they'll happily dig up your front garden and join N&E together just outside the house, then fit a new cutout with an earth terminal connected to the neutral. Subject to loop impedance tests. Also subject to an EIC for the main bonding, even where it is obvious that it's all new 16mm^2 from all services back to a big earthing block.

My house is fed from next door (looped through) ergo PME "unavailable" and anything other than 60A "unavailable" to me. When UKPN say "unavailable" they mean "not cheap enough" -PME is available in the area but they wouldn't pay for replacing the neighbour's block paving even if both houses did as for PME.

The chap also said that "that is our earth and that is the way that the eastern electricity board used to fit them" but current policy is to deny all knowledge or responsibility for it and refuse to maintain it.

Don't worry about blowing the DNO fuse though. It might go pop. It won't cost you money. It won't set fir to their cables. "Do your worst" overloading the supply as far as they are concerned.

RCD on everything (except 6A type B for the alarm and the meter cupboard light) is TT spec anyway, and gas is iron/water is lead, ergo installation is currently safe albeit abusing the current rating of the supply if shower plus something large are on.

The only way that UKPN will provide and maintain an MET is if I arrange for a new supply. Ironically they would then have to dig up the neighbour's block paved drive in order to isolate the supply such that they can remove the loop through cabling (they're not allowed to remove pitch on a "live" supply) but that falls under some different accounting bucket (removal of an old supply) and that has different rules! (UKPN pays) :rolleyes: :LOL:

In leiu of the situation meeting halfway on cost of the new supply has been suggested, plus me providing the buried ducting and new external meter cupboard for them to connect to - seems eminently reasonable to me given that the current installation is no longer unsafe and I'd need to move and upgrade the supply to build an extension anyhow. Three-phase is essentially the same price, and would allow for electric vehicles/heat pumps in future if needs be - value added to the property.

SSE man also came.

He tore everything off the DNO's board except the cutout and replaced it all with a teeny little electronic single-rate meter. On the kiff. (what is it with electricians and their utter inability to set things vaguely level?!?) And tightened that earthing clamp and remade the connection to it after removing the E7 clock's earth. Rather him than me! A seal also reappeared on the main fuse that had gone walkabouts when the main isolator switch was fitted.

Sponsored Links
With concentric cable forming the loop it would be difficult if not near impossible for a DIYer to cut the neutral ( and earth ) to the next door while leaving the live connected. It is where there are two separate cores going between the houses that the neutral ( and earth ) to the next door could be cut or disconnected leaving the live intact.

These two core loops ( in my opinion ) should not be used to take a PME to the adjacent property.

My house is fed from next door (looped through) ergo PME "unavailable".
Why does a looped cable preclude TN-C-S?

As I understood it: cost.

They'll pay for a hole in a lawn, a JB, and a new cutout.

(you provide PIR/EIC for main bonding first mind - they won't do it without this or check this - and you buy the grass seeds!)

They won't pay for a hole in the road or relaying driveways even if you could convince your neighbour to tolerate the disruption/upgrade his main bonding.

(at first glance the neighbour's wiring falls into the category of as sketchy as the extension and loft conversion...)

BUT... ...if you request the deletion of a supply the "disconnections account" pays for all of the above, and if you request a new supply there's an allowance from the "earthing account" in lieu of the reason for the new supply being inadequacy of the existing one. Or somesuch that I'm sure makes sense to somebody somewhere, but not the bloke in the van with the tools!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back