Upgrading CCTV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I’m wanting to upgrade my existing Swann 720p Cctv to 1080p or maybe higher my question is can I just replace the cameras with the existing wiring and dvr box just plug and play. thought I would get some advice before I do TIA....

Sponsored Links
I would write your budget down, check what quality you are aiming for (check YouTube videos for different cameras out there) then come and ask that question again.

I am assuming you have shotgun cable which is a coax and power cable if you want to go to something like POE you will need to replace the cable and the DVR.

I have been stung before went cheap and crap a year later regretted it so ripped all out and replaced with a decent Hikvision system.

Chances are you will need to upgrade both the cameras and the DVR.
If you have co-ax cables you could opt for a Hikvision Turbo DVR and Hikvision TVI cameras this would allow you to re-use the existing cables.
I’ve just done this on a job and the results are superb, I used 5mp cameras with a separate power supply although some newer Hikvision DVR’s have POC (power over co-ax) allowing you to supply the power up the co-ax as well as being able to take up to 8mp cameras.

Sponsored Links
Quite honestly, since you are going to replace both the cameras and recorder, you should replace the cables too. Coax is old technology and will restrict any future upgrades.
Replace the coax with CAT6 cables. It will give you a wider choice of IP cameras and recorder now, and make your system future proof as far as one can see.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back