Upgrading floor joist in roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,
longtime heating engineer, short time carpenter :LOL:

Right, loft conversions etc. I live in 3 bed mid terraced victoian terrace. I am lucky to have 2 x 1000x1000 veluxs in from the late 80's done by my dad. The floor joists were never upgraded though.

My q's are

1. If I scaffold front and back and then remove the 1st few rows of tiles can I then just slip the new joists in from outside to in so that they sit on the outside wall plate and the main internal load bearing wall? The span is approx 3800mm

2. Also, why is it that dormers never seem to go up on the front and only the back of properties. Is it planners being asses or something. There is one on a house further down from us and its been there well, pre 1985 thats for sure.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
1) yeh, but you'll still need plans and building control involvement etc... if you want this to be considered a proper loft conversion. If you ever go to sell it will just be a posh attic, and won't add more than a few hundred in value, (might even decrease value)

2) Yes usually, plus most people don't want them at the front. You can always ask planning dept. (in fact do)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back