Upgrading memory for Sony Vaio laptop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Sony Vaio Laptop running on Wndows Xp SP2. The model is PCG-FR415m which i have had for a long time and is an out of date model. I wanted to put a larger amount of memory in than the 512mb it has at the min but specification states that the MAXIMUM amount of memory is 1.0 GB is this the case or can i go beyond that as I've seen a 2gb memory module compatible with my model? Many thanks

Sponsored Links
take it to a local pc repair shop and ask if they could try it with some spare (second hand) RAM, they always have them around. If not, they can advise you on what you need an probably order it in foy you. This way, if it's wrong they are responsible for sending it back etc.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. Can i upgrade the pentium 4 2.8ghz processor that's already in to a larger processor and if so how would i find a processor that's compatible? Thanks

Here's what Crucial comes up with. Looks like 1GB is your max with 2 X 512MB modules.

Memory:DDR PC2700
Memory Type: DDR PC2700, DDR (non-ECC)
Maximum Memory: 1GB
Slots: 2
Each memory slot can hold DDR PC2700 with a maximum of 512MB per slot.*
*Not to exceed manufacturer supported memory.

How much memory your Windows OS will recognize depends on which version of Windows you are running. 32-bit versions of Windows will see (and utilize) only 3GB or 3.5GB. To utilize more memory, install a 64-bit version of your OS. More information about OS memory maximums can be found here.
Memory or DRAM is the 'working' memory of the computer. It's used to store data for programs (sequences of instructions) on a temporary basis.
video - installing memory

Back