Upstairs Slight Penetrating Damp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, having a few issues with my back bedroom in my House..

ive been having a few damp issues on the walls, nothing major.. the most likely cause is either that whoever installed the double glazed windows didnt use a proper sealent around the edges, so ive resolved that, im also getting slight penetrating damp in places from the rain..

i took the decision to strip the walls back to the bare brick and monitor it for a week, ive not found any major causes for concern, some slight damp patches but should be treatable.

im just trying to find the most cost effective way of now dealing with this? im by no means an expert plasterer but im confident enough to skim over plasterboards, but i dont want to just dot and dab them on the bare brick without some sort of treatment..

i have found this on the wickes website: Damp Proof Membrane Liquid 5L
Product Code: 241217
A rubberised, bitumen based emulsion that provides a flexible barrier to damp on walls and floors

which seems like it would provide a good base layer.. or would you recomment a different solution? if everyone is 100% behind the sand + cement (mixed with waterproofer) idea then ill sucker it up and give it a go.. or should i maybe place a layer of damp proof membrane against the wall and then batten it and board over it?

thanks in advance for any help with this!

Sponsored Links
Cant you find where it is coming in from outside and address the problem from the outside?

Well It's an old 1900's house I'm pretty sure it's just coming through gaps in a very poor rendering job that's Been done, but I cannot afford at this stage to have the whole outside of my House to be re-rendered, I've just had the guttering done to discount that possibility

So at the moment I'm thinking of prevention rather than solution

Sponsored Links
Believe me, dont start reinventing the wheel in your own house: go traditional, it usually works, that's why the method last's.

As roy said, doing up the outside is the key to the difficulty, and eventually will have to be tackled. Perhaps post pics of the exterior?

Read my other posts ( and other contributors ) for how to render an internal damp affected wall - it will be a slog, hodding or bucketing the mix up there, but it will work out cheaper in the period necessary for you to not be skint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back