Damp penetration in upstairs gable end wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have 3 south facing walls, the main being a gable end. Each upstairs wall has suffered from rain penetration this winter with the poor weather conditions. Ever since I bought the house 6 years ago, the gable ended wall has suffered from damp patches but this year the situation is far worse. The house is solid brick and was built c1890 and the upper floor is rendered with sand/cement pebbledash. I am pretty confident that the problem is not condensation as it is south facing but each wall is getting the full force of the rain and wind. I have checked for the obvious areas for penetration around the double glazed windows but everything appears solid. Also, the damp patches are very hap hazard and generally away from the windows.
Not sure what more can be done outside - can rain penetrate render? Last year I had the same problem but not so bad and I replaced patches of the crumbling plaster with sand and cement in an effort to address the problem. Could this still be a condensation issue, only one area has gone mouldy? Is there away of lining the walls from the inside?

Anybody here have any ideas as the problem this year is very bad.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
As above.
have you searched for minute hairline cracks? Is the dashed stone starting to fail and drop off?

"patches of crumbling plaster with sand and cement" do you mean interior "plaster" or exterior "sand and cement"?

"south facing" is no guarantee of being condensation free.

If the render/pebble dash is beginning to fail here and there then its usually on its way out, and will need replacing.

Interior and external pics will help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back