Penetrating damp?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, just wondered if you might have advice on how to fix what might be penetrating damp. We have some damp patches on the first floor bedroom walls (Victorian terrace), which become a bit more pronounced when it rains heavily. We’ve ruled out leaks. No signs of water in the loft but some cracking in the external wall render (picture attached). No damp patch on the left side of the window so possibly the crack higher up is to blame? The damp patches are on the wall facing outside and the party wall. A damp surveyor looked at the external wall but did not think it was the cause, so not sure what to do next. Any advice gratefully received.

Attachments

• IMG_1759.jpeg
    IMG_1759.jpeg
    103.5 KB · Views: 63
Sponsored Links
Here it is - opened boxed in bit to check for leaks but plumber found no issue. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1764.jpeg
    IMG_1764.jpeg
    126.6 KB · Views: 79
The cracks are something worth looking in to. I don't know where you are, but here in west London the walls would typically be solid 9" walls, Ordinarily, I would not expect them to have been rendered by the Victorians.

Have you spoken to your neighbours? The upper damp patch seems to run downwards. It may or may not be be the case that there is a problem on their side.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Yes, we have but haven’t been able to identify the cause of damp, so were thinking to also try applying some tanking slurry/facade cream over the top crack to see if things improve. Would that work (at least temporarily)?

Yes, we have but haven’t been able to identify the cause of damp, so were thinking to also try applying some tanking slurry/facade cream over the top crack to see if things improve. Would that work (at least temporarily)?
vr
Short term... you could use regular decorators caulk. I wouldn't recommend it as a long term fix though.

Looking at your photos, I would expect the tiles to overhang the top of the wall. I am not a roofer though.

Thanks so much! Yes, we wondered about the (lack of) verge but didn’t pay much attention when buying last year. I wonder if something can be installed retrospectively…

Verge tiles look like they let rain on top off wall which will run thru and emerge via easiest route .

Thank you — we might need to look into installing something to prevent this. Hopefully, it can be done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back