Penetrating damp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have a problem with penetrating damp in each of my south facing solid brick upstairs walls, the problem has been far worse this year due to the extremely bad weather. The external wall is pebble dash rendered and there are no cracks visible which could allow damp through, even around the windows. A builder who I’m assured has experience of this type of thing is also bemused. To cut a long story short, my builder is proposing 2 coats of waterproof paint on top of the render and overpainted with Sandtex in the magnolia colour it currently is.
My question is, does this sound like a suitable solution to this problem??

Sponsored Links
Nah. Most houses are just plain old brick without render and they don't get wet. Where are your chimney breasts?

No chimney breasts near these walls.
If anyone is aware of a brand of suitable waterproof paint which can be overpainted I'd be much obliged - thanks.

Hi,
Can anyone advise if 2 coats of mastic paint overpainted with Sandtex masonry paint is the way to go, applied directly to a pebbledashed external solid brick wall suffering from penetrating damp as discussed below??
If it is, pls can someone suggest a suitable mastic paint?
thanks,

Sponsored Links
Its a bit confusing as to who is posting on this thread?

FWIW, what is "mastic paint"? Typically, painting will not prevent damp penetration of render and dash.

But to help either of the posters you would have to supply quite a bit more information - why not use the Search facility, and read up on past similar experiences, and then come back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back