Penetrating damp problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a large damp patch in my bedroom (roughly 2ft x 2ft). I had a builder look at it but he couldn't see anything obvious from outside, only suggested I get the exterior wall rendered.

Rendering quotes have averaged around 2k though and I can't afford it. The builder also suggested chiseling away the plaster back to the brickwork and coating it with bitumen paint, letting it dry and then plastering over it as cheaper alternative although only temporary. He reckons it would stop the damp for a few years.

Might this actually work until I can afford the rendering or is it BS ?

Sponsored Links
it dont sound right to me if theres no problem on the outside why would he suggest to get the outside rendered? also putting bitumen paint on the inside wall then re plastering just as a temp measure is stupid, it could also cause problems, sounds like your builders a numpty

it dont sound right to me if theres no problem on the outside why would he suggest to get the outside rendered? also putting bitumen paint on the inside wall then re plastering just as a temp measure is stupid, it could also cause problems, sounds like your builders a numpty

Why is it a stupid idea and what are the potential problems ?

I know I'm clutching at straws but I need it fixing without having to pay for the rendering.

Sponsored Links

I know I'm clutching at straws but I need it fixing without having to pay for the rendering.
1 there is nothing temp about painting walls with bitumen even if it was temp why would you want a temp job?
2if your walls solid then its not a good idea in my eyes you are sealing the wall stopping it from breathing
3, its going to be harder to rerender
4 if there was no sign from outside maybe its condensation from the inside which would make his diagnoses and options useless I wouldent listen to anyone who couldent find a problem outside and then said to get it rendered

1 there is nothing temp about painting walls with bitumen even if it was temp why would you want a temp job?
2if your walls solid then its not a good idea in my eyes you are sealing the wall stopping it from breathing
3, its going to be harder to rerender
4 if there was no sign from outside maybe its condensation from the inside which would make his diagnoses and options useless I wouldent listen to anyone who couldent find a problem outside and then said to get it rendered

Wanted a temporary job because I'm skint and 2k for rendering isn't an option.

I'm thinking now that it's more likely to be condensation, when I decorated I removed and filled in a vent on the chimney breast and then papered over it. The damp patch is in a corner on the exterior south facing wall.

[quote="stevethespreader";p="2814212Wanted a temporary job because I'm skint and 2k for rendering isn't an option.
lee I can understand that but it sounds like that builder was out to make some work for himself, your solid wall must get cold and condensation may be forming on the wall from whats going on inside the house, "just my thoughts"

[quote="stevethespreader";p="2814212Wanted a temporary job because I'm skint and 2k for rendering isn't an option.
lee I can understand that but it sounds like that builder was out to make some work for himself, your solid wall must get cold and condensation may be forming on the wall from whats going on inside the house, "just my thoughts"

To be fair to the builder he never intended to chop out the plaster and do the bitumen job himself, he only suggested it as something I could try myself. He also specifically said he doesn't do rendering so he's never tried to gain anything from this.

Do you think sealing off that chimney breast vent has caused the problem ? I did the same thing in the other bedroom and mould has appeared on my fabric guitar case and there's a strange smell in the room.

Thanks for the replies Steve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back