UPVC door locks and unlocks but will not open

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

So a bit of background to start: I moved into my first house yesterday and I was keen to remove the cylinders of the UPVC doors to replace the locks. From the guides online it seemed very easy to replace a euro lock. However, there were 2 pieces of metal stopping the screw from coming out therefore I couldn't remove the screw.

I am now in a position where the door will unlock and lock, but I can't open it. I have a nasty nagging feeling that perhaps I didn't tighten the screw correctly before locking the door. The door is now closed and the cylinder now has some play and moves in and out. I've tried various combinations and wiggling the lock but I just cannot get it open. The handle moves up and down and I can engage the locking mechanism by moving the handle up. The key also turns in the cylinder allowing me to lock and unlock the door, I just can't open it!

Does anyone have any suggestions before I swallow my pride and call a lock smith? :oops:

Thanks,

Adam

Sponsored Links
Try loosening or removing the handles, then gentle turning pressure on the key and at the same time move the cylinder in and out. No joy, turn in the opposite direction, still no joy, try it from the other side.
DC
Teamlocksmiths

I use to see this sort of thing on a duraflex door, cannot remember the lock make. But a plate use to slide down over the screw that holds the euro in. And when the screw was not tightend the plate would hit it...check the screw

Sponsored Links
I use to see this sort of thing on a duraflex door, cannot remember the lock make. But a plate use to slide down over the screw that holds the euro in. And when the screw was not tightend the plate would hit it...check the screw

He can't if the door wont open !.

You're on the right lines though, I would hazard a guess that the retaining screw has come loose and is snagging the frame when the door is opened. There's a fair bit of flexing in these doors, so you may be able to prise the door past the screw.

When you say the cylinder is locking, does it actually lock the mechanism and prevent the handles from being pushed down??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back