upvc kitchen window won't open

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my ktchen window is a upvc one and it won't open. I turn the handleclockewise 90 degrees and the bottom of the window comes free and is ready to open but it is prevented from doing so by the top part which is still 'locked'. i have tried the old fashioned method of giving it a shove but nothing happens. Can anyone help me? I have taken the handle off but all i can see is the square hole which the bar goes into and the two screw holes. I'm a bit stuck! I;d be grateful for any help...

Sponsored Links
has it got shootbolts? i've heard of shootbolts sticking some of the time

sounds like the shootbolt has come detatched from the gearbox (thats where the handle screws into) i have managed to get windows with similar problem open by de-glazing the window, then giving the free part of the opener a 'bump' with my hand and this usually gets the window open. then it's a case of replacing any broken parts or re attatching the shootbolt (with a dab of loc-tite so it dosen't come out again) and putting everything back together.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back