UPVC patio door nightmare! (damp proof failed?)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My friend had new UPVC windows fitted along with an existing window converted into a patio door (victorian terrace house). I have several concerns. Firstly a damp proof course has been recently fitted and due to the installer using a sledge hammer they have all but demolished the wall way over what was necessary (instead of slicing through the bricks perhaps?). Underneath the door frame they have removed most of the inner skin of brick leaving a large gap between the frame the floor boards, also even if the DPC was re-injected into the walls how on earth will the DPC go in under the frame as it sits just one row of bricks up? Furthermore as the yard slants the sill of the door touches the concrete of the yard (externally). They are coming later to talk me through it as I expressed my dissatisfaction, the problem is they have tried to 'bamboozal' me so far and I don't really know enough to know what should have been done and can now be done.

Does anyone know when fitting a patio door what best practice is as far as distance from the ground to the start of the frame? and as one end of the frame is practically below the outside level the implications of this? I have images attached.

Sponsored Links
All I can say, having seen the photos is survey cock up and cowboys. Take legal advice and have someone with professional experience with you when they come around to talk and most important...get it all in writing.
Good luck

Is that the new latest foam mortar?

So was there a row of bricks along the bottom in the first place?

Sponsored Links
Is that the new latest foam mortar?

So was there a row of bricks along the bottom in the first place?

Yes there were rows of brick as it was a window. Not sure if they just measured it wrong or this is how they do it but it is worrying how close the frame is to the concrete yard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back