UPVC Patio Doors wrongly fitted help! (damp proof failied?)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My friend had new UPVC windows fitted along with an existing window converted into a patio door (victorian terrace house). I have several concerns. Firstly a damp proof course has been recently fitted and due to the installer using a sledge hammer they have all but demolished the wall way over what was necessary (instead of slicing through the bricks perhaps?). Underneath the door frame they have removed most of the inner skin of brick leaving a large gap between the frame the floor boards, also even if the DPC was re-injected into the walls how on earth will the DPC go in under the frame as it sits just one row of brick up. Furthermore as the yard slants the sill of the door touches the concrete of the yard (externally). They are coming later to talk me through it as I expressed my dissatisfaction, the problem is they have tried to 'bamboozale' me so far and I don't really know enough to know what should have been done and can now be done.

Does anyone know when fitting a patio door what best practice is as far as distance from the ground to the start of the frame? and as one end of the frame is practically below the outside level
the implications of this. I have images attached.

Sponsored Links
Have they built the bricks in with foam between the joints as well :LOL:

Hope they haven't paid yet/ever.

Sponsored Links
Have they built the bricks in with foam between the joints as well :LOL:

Hope they haven't paid yet/ever.

They have not been paid yet! Yes they used foam to set the bricks, then after the first unhappy exchange they re-did in cement. They have basically butchered the wall when cutting through the bricks would have meant all this unnecessary, sigh! I think I will suggest she pays for an expert to come in and give his opinion and recommendations as it will bring peace of mind too. The company are not really admitting that there is anything wrong or what the problem is! The job was supposed to be left 'ready for plaster'. There are other issues to with the windows not being level or centred but minor compared to this!

There is no easy way to forcibly remove fragile brickwork, but there are better ways of repairing it!

This should have been explained as art of the pricing survey and should have been highlighted that the jambs would likely need re-building.

In some instances masonry can be successfully cut with a Stihl saw, but this method relies on the bricks being of solid make-up and the perp's being straight.

Most of the time re-building the jambs is the only satisfactory solution.

You say minor, not level and out of center is major in my books.

Are the pics the finished job or has it been improved on.

This would largely depend upon the existing masonry, particularly and existing opening in an old building.

For example: If it were more favourable to install the doors in a cranked opening, i.e. if the sill and head and sides were not level/upright but square, it may look very odd trying to fit the doors 'true'.

We have fitted to houses that have quite clearly have sunk or settled wholesale, meaning they are square but twisted like a picture frame that needs 'adjusting'. ;)

But when you look at the pics do you think God help us what the hells that, or brilliant job mate, out best fitter did that. :LOL:

Originally they left it with the foam in between the bricks, then they replaced this with cement so the final pic is how they intend to leave it. Last night they said they would concrete under the patio door frame.

After the visit last night he said the windows are level and teh ones that are not central on the inside he said are from the outside and this is what you always go from?? I am still confused as to how it can be central on the outside yet on the inside more of the frame is showing on the right than the left. They also said that they had a damp proofer look at it and the DPC remains in tack! I find this hard to believe as as you can see from the pics, they have had to partially rebuild the wall. Ultimately you have to live and learn. Won't be using Lee Kelly (Preston) in future!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back