Problem with concrete floor joining patio doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I hope someone can help. I have just pulled up the carpets in prep for decorating and laying laminate floor and found the concrete around the patio door to be failing. Having removed the lose concrete i find i have a hole through the DPC beneath which is loose sand.

Recently i had uPVC patio doors fitted to replace previous aluminuim doors on a wood frame. The doors were susceptible to condensation which began to rot the wood frame.

I can see that there is a bitumous DPC on the concrete slab and beneath the patio doors. I have read other strings on the forums about bridging the gap with cavity closures, of making a trough with the DPM and then screeding over the top. However i wondered if there was a fix without the need for removing the patio doors. Would it be possible to fill the gap with concrete with a DPM, i imagine that is what was there before, having emptied out a bucked of broken bricks and mortar.

The house is 1980s. I have uploaed three pictures (in my album) which should give an indication of the problem. Although the concrete floor continues up to the patio door at one end i can see from inspection that the hole beneth this continues most of the length of the door.

Sponsored Links
Cheers Woody,

I'm assuming that by filling the gap with expanding foam I will not get a problem with damp because the foam is impervious? I'm also assuming that the foam will also prevent cold bridging?
:LOL:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back