UPVC patio door wont lock even when open

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I cant lock the door, the lever needs to turn a bit more but cant.
I have tried it with the door open so there is no resistance but the door still doesn't lock.
Any ideas please?

Sponsored Links
Either the cylinder barrel is sticking/not turning it the actual locking mechanism is broken. It may be one of the top or bottom points are stuck but my guess would be the actual ' gearbox ' . Post a picture up of the lock ' face ' .....top middle and bottom , may be able to identify it. If not it may need removing and measurements taken to identify the correct lock .

Better to have a gearbox failure with the door open rather than locked!

1. With the door open...
  2. remove the screw that holds the lock cylinder in place - try the key and see if it can lock
  3. Take the cylinder out, check it will turn with the key etc. - if yes then...
  4. remove the handles and spindle then unscrew the locking strip from the edge of the door (likely philips or posidriv - gearbox may be secured to strip with torx screws)
  5. pull out the lock strip and gearbox from the door
  6. Measure the gearbox https://www.upvcwindow-doorparts.co.uk/how-to-measure-a-lockcase/gearbox
  7. Order a replacement (I was able to get an ERA one for mine for £16) and fit it when it arrives.
  8. while you're at it consider swapping out the lock cylinder for a 3 star diamond rated lock - or at least 1 star

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back