UPVC rear door ...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my upvc back door stupidly opens outwards onto the patio and whilst carrying a bag full of empties the wind blew the door and almost took it off :cry:

the door has cracked around the top hinge and to me has had it. now the door has no stay/closer on the top but the holes are in place both on the door and on the framework. for a temporary fix, where can i get 1? ive tried homebase, wickes and b&q, but no..

i also want to replace the door, but to save it from blowing again, how easy/difficult is it to have the new door open inwards? do i need a complete new frame aswell?

thanks in advance..

Sponsored Links
Funnily enough I once went to a repair job where a UPVC door opened outwards. As it turned out the owner had taken it on himself to fit the door which was all fine and dandy except for the fact that he had fitted the thing inside-out back to front. :rolleyes:
It's wasn't you was it? :D

To anser your question external residential doors should all open inwards (unless of course it's a Fire-Exit Door or a French Door)

Personally I would replace it with a Solid Hardwood Door and Frame. UPVC is okay for windows but not much cop security wise.

Our kitchen door used to open outwards, when we had the house redone we had a UPVC one put on to swing inwards instead without a problem.

so is it an easy job to switch it round? i have no idea why it opens outwards, but i need to change it.

Sponsored Links
When you take the old door out it's just a hole so you can put the new one in whichever way you like - so just work out what's most practical for you and tell them what way you want it and it should be as easy as that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back