uPVC sash window problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've just bought a uPVC sash window direct from the manufacturer as we are planning to fit it ourselves. We've had a look at it, and the catch that switches it between the position for tilting inwards or sliding up and down, doesn't click into the sliding position on the left side of the window frame. It's out by just a fraction of a millimetre. The one on the right side of the frame seems to work fine.
The manufacturer has told us that this might sort itself out when it is fitted. They've advised us to fit it and told us that if it's still a problem when its fitted, then they will have a look at it. However, there is a £100 fee for them to call out and look at it, which is refundable if the fault is covered by the warranty. I'm worried that they might tell us that the fault is due to us not fitting it properly if it still doesn't work when we've fitted it, and it could turn into a very expensive window!
My inclination now is to send it back to them, as we still haven't paid for it yet, and to order from a different manufacturer, as there'll be no going back if we do fit it. But I would be grateful for anyones advice.

Sponsored Links
Can you show some pics?
I have fitted a load of these recently but have never had this problem, Having said that Ive never really tried opening them like that until the frame was fitted securely and nice and straight/level etc.

It could be as they have said just a case of it needing to be firmly fixed before it will work correctly.

Try laying it flat on the ground or a table and then opening and closing to see if it makes any difference.

Either way as long as the frame is straight with no obvious problems I would have thought the worst case scenario would be having a new sash made or even just a new catch.
I cant see any need to pay a call out fee for any problems, All I ever do is take photos and perhaps a video and email them to the suppliers and they send any parts needed.

Sorry we don't have any pictures at the moment. The catch wasn't clicked into place for the sliding position on the left side when it arrived - that was how we noticed the problem - it wasn't that we opened it and then wouldn't go back in. I'm not sure if we would be confident to fix the window ourselves - we were expecting it to arrive in working condition, and for us to then aim not to mess it up when fitting it! We've tried standing it on a level surface and it didn't work, although we haven't tried laying it down flat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back