problem with upvc sliding sash window mechanisms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I had some upvc sliding sash windows installed a few years back and the opening mechanisms on most of them have failed and as such the top sections fall down and the bottom sections wont stay open. I have had several different window repair engineers out but unfortunately none have been able to repair them. The problem I'm having is that none of the engineers were familiar with the type of opening system that the windows are fitted with. They dont have the more standard spring /spiral balances that most upvc sash windows use. The mechanisms as far as I have been able to work out through looking on the internet are known as constant force or coil spring.
Has anyone heard of these or know of any repair engineers who may be able to help? The windows are based in North West London.

many thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Using the resources on this site you should be able to upload then to here.

I am in NW London which is a long way from Berwickshire!

By chance I am seeking quotes for replacement UPVC sash windows.

I have so far had two quotes.

I do have to say the professionalism of suppliers seems to have become pretty dire since I last did that about 25 years ago.

So bad in fact that I am feeling like a supply only supplier and fit them myself.

Tony

The photos have come out tiny so I cant really see them. I only recommended a photo hosting site as there tends to be size limits on the photos when you upload them here directly.

Im think I know what you have (just want the pics to confirm) and I have a PDF on my computer on how to change them, I can also put you in touch with the supplier assuming I am correct.

Does anyone know how to upload PDF to this site or another? I may have to email it to you.

Were they installed by a Fensa registered company? Have you tried contacting the people who fitted them?

Using the resources on this site you should be able to upload then to here.

I am in NW London which is a long way from Berwickshire!

By chance I am seeking quotes for replacement UPVC sash windows.

I have so far had two quotes.

I do have to say the professionalism of suppliers seems to have become pretty dire since I last did that about 25 years ago.

So bad in fact that I am feeling like a supply only supplier and fit them myself.

Tony

Have you been trying local company's or the big nationals? I would recommend staying away from the big ones.

I have tried all the local ones I have been able to find phoning first to make sure they were familiar with these types of windows. After the first couple came out, I have been as specific as possible in trying to point out they have this more unusual type of operating mechanism but unfortunately i have had no luck.

Sorry Gazman I missed one of your posts they were fitted by a contractor so they were signed off by building control, the contractor has vanished. I have no idea who supplied them and also there are no identification marks on the windows to even give a lead on who might have supplied them. The actual fitting of the windows, quality of the upvc and other fitting seem quite good its just the opening and closing mechanisms which have been the problem.

I can email you the photos if you send me an email address. any help to get these fixed would be really appreciated

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back