Upvc window frame leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Looking for a bit of advice on my bathroom window. It's a standard upvc double glazed window and from the look of most of the windows in my house, they we're put in by cowboys. I'm currently re-doing my bathroom and after taking the tiles off the window reveal, I noticed everytime it rains, damp patches appear along the top and sides of the reveal. There is a 20/30 mm gap around all sides of the frame, filled with expanding foam. As the tiles are off I started digging out the foam to investigate. When I look up inside the cavity, I can see a hole through the mortar joint on the outside wall. It's the soldier course above the frame. My questions are: if I re-point the soldier course and re silicone the outside frame, should this cure the problem and should I put expanding foam around the inside gap of the frame again and finally should the frame have some kind of damp course along the top as at the moment it hasn't and just has foam and bricks. Hope this makes sense. Thanks. John.

Sponsored Links
Pics?

There are rarely any DPC's in, above or around windows in older property's so they shouldn't be needed here. Sounds like just some pointing and sealing needed externally.
Foam is good around the frame as it is both thermal and sound insulation.

Thanks for the advice. I was hoping for that answer. Time to get raking those joints out. Thanks. ( sorry no pics)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back