UPVC Window handle broken - can only get to one screw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - This is my first post on this forum and I hope that someone can give me some advice.

I have a UPVC window with a standard lock handle which you push down on the spring lock and turn the handle to open the window.

The spring has broken on the handle and my window is currently closed and locked.

I have replaced handles in the past by removing the two screws that fit the handle to the frame but in this case, as the handle is broken in the locked position, I can only get to the top screw. The bottom screw is blocked due to the handle in the locked position and I do not have enough leverage to see the bottom screw to unlock this.

Can anyone offer any advice to get to the second screw?

I read online somewhere that I can snap the handle by forcing the handle in towards the open position to snap the handle but unsure if this would damage the internal lock etc

Thanks in advance for any comments

Sponsored Links
Yes just force the handle towards open, you will break the handle not the mechanism, this is because the mechanism is free to work and has not seized, the handle will fail around the push button area by way of the aluminium cracking

I have just had the exact same problem, living near the sea doesn't do them any good and was able to knock the handle(with my hand) and break the plastic part of the lock and open the handle.

Thank you both very much - I took the top screw out and added some extra pressure on the handle to turn it open and the lock snapped with some black bits of plastic falling out and the handle was free to move.

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
I have same problem, is there a way to be able to use same handle if I snap it?

You can re-use the handle, BUT it will not lock. You can also get new handles at Wicks.

Thanks for reply.

Is there no way to use the mechanism of the new handle and install it in old, I can't find a matching handle to the one I have.

No, its like asking will the ignition barrel taken from one make of car fit another make of car

Bought mine from ebay 10 for £10 thought they would be cheap and nasty but good as any I have bought from screwfix or elsewhere.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back