Upvc Window not load bearing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, Further to an earlier post regarding a crack where Lintel above Bay Window is, given the info I have received on this site and from other posts I have read, I am now leaning towards the Upvc Bay window not being strong enough to bear the large Lintel. Whats the best course to remedy this? Remove Bay Window and at same time replace Lintle?

Attachments

• 20200801_115349.jpg
    20200801_115349.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 149
Sponsored Links
UPVC Windows are not load bearing if it is sagging there is no proper lintel there.
Common problem often timber windows were built in as the wall was laid, the bricks sat on the timber frame when that frame is removed it fails. On a bay often there were supporting pillars or strong timber uprights to support joins in the lintel.

Last edited:
As footprints says , the upvc window itself won't be loadbearing but there should be a post on either corner ( or angle ) that should have a metal loadbearing pole in it and ' jacking kit '. These are designed to replace the upright timbers that Footprints mentioned. One thing I have seen done many a time is that the kits/loadbearing poles have been put on the upvc cill, whereas they should go all the way through to the existing brick/stone/block work. without removing trims at the corners you are not going to be able to tell, and even then , as the pole is usually encased in a pvc sheath , you won't know if its a load bearing pole

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back