UPVC Window Specification Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I’m in the process of renovating my property and looking to replace all the windows prior to rendering. The house is a 1890s semi-detached property which already has UPVC windows fitted, the early variety circa 1990 I would say, several units are misted and quite frankly the units are a little basic in design.

I am looking for some guidance on the specification or recommendations of a good supplier in the Essex area. I will be fitting the windows myself so looking for a supply only.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
The makes are all pretty much the same nowadays for quality/specifications, Its mainly down to how good the factory that put it all together are.
For standard PVC windows Liniar and Eurocell look the nicest in my opinion.
If you are after something a bit different/more expensive Eurocells Modus windows and Residence 9 are awesome!

The trickiest part is the measuring/specification!
There are about 1000 pages of regulations with doors and windows. Especially take a look at document Q if there are any extensions being added!

Your best bet may be local window company's. They will know the product they use, The regs and will have a good trade discount with the factories. If you get them to measure and supply only any mistakes are on them.

You only need to write one measurement down wrong or not account for some skirting board, Floor level or something by a door and the few hundred £ you might have saved will be out the window.

Thanks for the post(s) Gazman......I had a bad experience with a local double glazing firm a few years back, in which they were rushing so much the job was a real pigs ear, and this was just sofits and guttering, this is an apparent well respected firm. I hear what you are saying though about the measurements etc........I had thought about Eurocell but wasn't too sure about how well their units are made / costs.

I do also have the luxury of all the old units in place so I can measure and see the type of fit that was used / required, this must have been in the days prior to expanding foam as there are some huge gaps due to two levels of brickwork, I also notice that no packers were used, so essentially just constrained by 4mm screws, obviously why this window in question was out of square and didn't close properly.

I will be removing the old render around the windows to gain accurate measurements because it looks as though these old units were fitted from the inside and butted up to the render. The render which is about 25mm currently will be reduced to 15mm as I'm going with monocouche, so I really want to get an accurate measurement and maintain the 5mm clearance around the frame.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Hi
Agree r9 is probably the best on the market as long as your opening can take 100mm frame. That said the r7 is out soon. I can certainly quote for supply only.

Cheers dh

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back