2 questions: uPVC windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, grateful for your opinions on the following please:

1. I have several uPVC glazed windows, a couple of which seem to have gone 'cloudy'. Close inspection shows that there appears to be moisture between the 2 glass panels. I am assuming that these are sealed units and therefore there is no way to dry them out? Is a replacement necessary, and is this something the average DIYer could carry out? If so I'd be grateful for any advice on tackling this job

2. I would like to replace a wooden framed window (in upstairs bathroom) with a new uPVC unit. Is this possible as a DIY job, or is it a difficult job. I'm told taht they can be fitted entirely from the inside (ie.. without having to work up a ladder). Again, grateful for any thoughts from those 'in the know'....

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Sealed units in upvc are a piece of cake to change, make sure you measure them right, best way to see if you are capable is take it out to measure it.

New window more tricky and you will need to get it signed off at the end

Good God!

Thanks for the above. Are you able to outline how I get the glass unit out?

Also, re replacement of the entire window, is that a notifiable building control job, then?

Cheers, David

Sponsored Links
All depends if the beads are on the outside go indoors and it will either be a rubber gasket that you pull out first or a foam tape that you will cut with a blade, then go outside and take the beads off and the glass will come out.

If its inside beaded then just take the beads off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back