URGENT HELP NEEDED REMOVING RADIATOR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am trying to remove a radiator in my bathroom so I can tile behind it. There is a lockshield valve at either end of the rad both valves seem to be turned fully anti-clockwise, so, I have tried turning them clockwise to turn them off so I can remove the rad, but woter escapes from the top of the valve as i am turning them clockwise. it isn't just a drip, it's quite a trickle coming out.

is this normal or am i doing something wrong.

any quick replies appreciated.

thanks

rob

Sponsored Links
if water is coming out of the top of the valve, it is probably the gland or O-rings. It is posible to tighten a gland (small top nut on spindle) but rad valves are very cheap, and it will probably leak again, less trouble to fit new ones. You will probably find, if all the rads in your house are the same age, that all the valves could do with renewing.

A leaking rad valve can do untold damage in stained carpets and ceilings.

Thanks for the reply,

I will be changing the valve before I put the new radiator on. However, I need to get the old radiator off and leave it off for a couple of days whilst I tile. I need to leave the old valves on until I get the new ones. I will try tightening the nut below the valve as suggested

Thanks

Rob

see if the rad valves leak when turned fully on.

If not (it will depend on their wear pattern) you can buy a 3/4" Blank Nut that will (probably, some rad valves may vary) fit on the thread of the rad valve, this will seal them off while you are working. You can get a 3/4" rubber washer to put in the nut if that helps.

In B&Q I got some blank nuts yesterday for £2.47

Sponsored Links
if you cant get a blanking nut , i found that a washing machine hose will bodge the job for a while .

Although i have to admit on relying on it for a year when i refurbed our bedroom

Would the valves have grey caps on them by any chance?

If so then they sound like Belmont valves which have rubber o-rings on the shaft. These will probably have failed. As has been said, turn off the valves, take the rad off, cap the valves off and turn back on again.

Robert too said:
if you cant get a blanking nut , i found that a washing machine hose will bodge the job for a while .

Although i have to admit on relying on it for a year when i refurbed our bedroom

Good idea, so you could bridge the hose across the rad valves until you fit a rad.

Incidentally, I found out today that washing-machine hose will also fit the 3/4" connections on a Magnaclean body (mine got delivered today). So you could run it between two rad valves if for some reason you don't feel like/haven't got round to connecting it permanently.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Ive managed to get the rad off now but have another problem:

The inlet valve to the rad is dripping a bit from the compression joint. I have tried tightening it a bit but no joy.

I want to drain the system a bit to take the water level below the pipe but I can't find a drain cock anywhere in the house. Could I open the inlet valve to the rad I have just removed and let water drain out that way or not?

Thanks Rob

yes you could

turn off the boiler.

you will need one or two trays that will fit under the valve, like paint roller trays, and a bucket to empty them into.

have you got a combi or have you got a feed and expansion tank in the loft?

can you get to a plumbing or DIY shop for some bits?

yes. check that the filling loop is disconnected or turned off. When you release pressure the boiler will stop working until you refill it.

a combi does not have a feed tank so there will not be much water coming out once you release the pressure.

you had better go out and buy those new rad valves today as you will have no hot water until topped up.

JohnD said:
Robert too said:

Good idea, so you could bridge the hose across the rad valves until you fit a rad.

It was the only heating we had in that room for over a year :LOL:

But whenever i drop a rad for decorating purposes , I always fit the hose now , just in case anything lets go.

I think it's a brilliant idea and am off now to buy one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back