Manual plastic cap on radiator can’t remove

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My radiator is leaking from under the plastic cap (one that has a + and -) and turns the spindle clockwise and anti-clockwise).
upload_2019-2-4_13-12-59.jpeg

When I try to turn the value off it leaks even more.

Can I remove the cap? I’ve tried but it doesn’t seem to move and I’m scared that I will do it wrong. I thought they just pulled off so you can get to the workings underneath. Am I right? Any advice would be so appreciated.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That type do usually pull off wear a glove and give it a good hard tug, without the glove you will almost certainly take a chunk out of your knuckles when it comes loose! You can prise against the bottom but they often shatter if they are old. Underneath you will find a spindle tighten the nut surrounding it.

Sponsored Links
H

Hot&Cold

Hold the lower valve body and give the plastic cap a good tug,they need some pull apart pressure. they are basic valves and can leak water if turned.Maybe consider exchanging all the wasp branded valves :cool: or leave them alone. :arrow:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Use a pair of grips, and pull straight up. Some caps are very brittle, but I woud bet that that one will be okay. Once removed, tighten the gland nut in a clockwise direction

Sponsored Links
D

durhamplumber

Hi,

My radiator is leaking from under the plastic cap (one that has a + and -) and turns the spindle clockwise and anti-clockwise).
View attachment 158263
When I try to turn the value off it leaks even more.

Can I remove the cap? I’ve tried but it doesn’t seem to move and I’m scared that I will do it wrong. I thought they just pulled off so you can get to the workings underneath. Am I right? Any advice would be so appreciated.
What the fook is that