Radiator Removal - Valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

First time doing this so it's all new to me. Need to remove a radiator as re-plastering the walls and changing the skirting. One end of the radiator is has a TRV valve, which i've taken off and fitted a decorator's cap. This seems to have isolated the radiator that end as it no longer gets hot. The other end has a normal valve with a cap screwed on. The cap won't turn so I unscrewed it to reveal a head that looks a little different to the head on some videos I watched. I unscrewed a gold nut and and then using a spanner the head wouldn't tighten clockwise any more but would loosen a few turns. This seemed odd as I presumed it should be open to let water run through. Based on the pictures

Can I assume the valve was closed and if i turn it back clockwise as much as I can the radiator will be shut off and I can lift it off and drain it?

It worth fitting a couple of nuts anyway to the end of the connectors as the radiator will be off the wall for while just in case?

h2YvC7

mcSu5S

bLMRKn

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Can't access your images I'm afraid, but what you are doing sounds correct.....that valve is called a 'lockshield' and may only have been open between 1/2 and 1 turn.
Some radiator valves have a gland nut (which is maybe the one you have seen) others do not. Give us a proper pic if you can!
John :)

I cannot see your pics.
You do not need to unscrew any nuts the brass one you mention is probably a gland nut it seals the spindle to stop leakage up the shaft.
As a rule the top of the spindle will be just a flat section you use an adjustable spanner on, a few have a square top with a hole for the plastic cover s screw to fit in.
If it will not screw down any further it should be off, any idea why anyone would have done this?
With both valves off open the air vent and catch any water till it stops running if it gives much more than a tea cup of water it is not shut off fully.
The object of the lock shield valve is to balance the flow around the rads each is set at installation if the rad is close to the pump it may only need to be open a ¼ turn or so one a long way from the pump might be fully open.
When you refill start with just cracking the valve open see if it heats up if not open a little more and so on.

Sponsored Links
The nut that you have removed (lower pic) has revealed the gland packing, which is there to minimise leaks.
Pop the nut back on, turn the spindle with an adjustable spanner fully clockwise and the rad will be shut off.
John :)

All went to plan, thanks for the advice. Even uncovered 2 working sockets someone had decided to install the radiator over o_O

Now to decide if I can DIY some new pipe fittings up through the floor boards to accommodate a new smaller radiator or whether i should get a plumber in for that :unsure:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back