Removing radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have read the recent FAQ on this and have closed the locknut. The other end has a Honeywell TRV, http://www.plumbnation.co.uk/site/h...ostatic-radiator-valves-/?activeTab=products, and it is advised to take the head off and fit a decorator's cap. I presume the head comes off by undoing the ribbed metal circle but what is a decorator's cap and is it essential to fit one or does is the valve normally airtight anyway if fully closed before removal of head ? I can't find a reference to decorator's cap on any supplies site.

Sponsored Links
its usually a plastic cap the trvs came with. and most on installs get chucked away.usually locking the trv will do but i always cap the end off for extra security, usually with a nut and olive, a bit of pipe and a pushfit stop end,or what ever i can use.oh and dont take the head off as this will fully open the valve. the head is there to lock the valve off.

OK. This is the post I was going by:-

"Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:51 pm Post Subject:

POSTED BY GAS4YOU

6) TEMPORARILY REMOVING A RADIATOR

Firstly, put down a dust sheet underneath the radiator and a small plastic tray under the valve nut.
Turn off the lockshield valve. If you have a TRV at one end you will need to take the head off and fit a decorators cap to ensure it will not leak.

Undo valve nut between valve and rad slowly until water runs out. When water stops, open air bleed on rad to let more water drain out.

When water stops, lift one end of rad and drop over empty plastic tray to empty last bits of water. Be careful here as this will probably be black and/or rusty water.

When finished draining do up air bleed, undo other end valve nut, remove rad and turn upside down to eliminate drips from valve bodies.

Fitting is a reversal of above. You will need to top up system pressure via filling loop or filling link built into your boiler."

If I've understood correctly the advice to remove the head is therefore not correct in your opinion and you would simply cap off the pipe between the valve and the radiator ?

Sponsored Links
the advice they gave is not incorrect.its just they mention taking the head off then putting on a decorators cap which is basically a screw down plastic cap wich i doubt you will have.screwing down the trv head is basicall the same.if the rad is gonna be off for some time i would usually cap the trv part that fits on to the rad tail.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back