Manual plastic cap on radiator can’t remove

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My radiator is leaking from under the plastic cap (one that has a + and -) and turns the spindle clockwise and anti-clockwise).
upload_2019-2-4_13-12-59.jpeg

When I try to turn the value off it leaks even more.

Can I remove the cap? I’ve tried but it doesn’t seem to move and I’m scared that I will do it wrong. I thought they just pulled off so you can get to the workings underneath. Am I right? Any advice would be so appreciated.

Sponsored Links
That type do usually pull off wear a glove and give it a good hard tug, without the glove you will almost certainly take a chunk out of your knuckles when it comes loose! You can prise against the bottom but they often shatter if they are old. Underneath you will find a spindle tighten the nut surrounding it.

Hold the lower valve body and give the plastic cap a good tug,they need some pull apart pressure. they are basic valves and can leak water if turned.Maybe consider exchanging all the wasp branded valves :cool: or leave them alone. :arrow:

Use a pair of grips, and pull straight up. Some caps are very brittle, but I woud bet that that one will be okay. Once removed, tighten the gland nut in a clockwise direction

Sponsored Links
Hi,

My radiator is leaking from under the plastic cap (one that has a + and -) and turns the spindle clockwise and anti-clockwise).
View attachment 158263
When I try to turn the value off it leaks even more.

Can I remove the cap? I’ve tried but it doesn’t seem to move and I’m scared that I will do it wrong. I thought they just pulled off so you can get to the workings underneath. Am I right? Any advice would be so appreciated.
What the fook is that

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back