removing radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I want to remove a radiator and cap the rises off. It runs on a combi boiler so can I just isolate the flow and return at the boiler, remove the radiator , cap the pipes(is it ok to use the plastic click stop ends?) turn on the values and re pressure up boiler with the value below the boiler. Is it that straight forward? I have installed a bathroom but never touched central heating before. Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Hi. I want to remove a radiator and cap the rises off. It runs on a combi boiler so can I just isolate the flow and return at the boiler, remove the radiator , cap the pipes(is it ok to use the plastic click stop ends?) turn on the values and re pressure up boiler with the value below the boiler. Is it that straight forward? I have installed a bathroom but never touched central heating before. Thanks for your help.

Yes - BUT

No need to isolate the boiler, just tighten the cap on the AAV on the boiler to create a vacuum. De-pressurise the system (drain a few litres off) and away you go.

P46

Yes - BUT

No need to isolate the boiler, just tighten the cap on the AAV on the boiler to create a vacuum. De-pressurise the system (drain a few litres off) and away you go.

P46

Thanks penfold.

Is it acceptable to use the snap on plastic end caps? This is for a perminant use.
Also there is no need to connect the flow and return together is there once the rad has been removed, right?

Sponsored Links
Is it acceptable to use the snap on plastic end caps? This is for a perminant use.

Yes, as long as there accessible.

Also there is no need to connect the flow and return together is there once the rad has been removed, right?

:eek: NO, no need whatsoever.

P46

didn't think so lol maybe i should stick to being a spark!!!

I haven't started yet and the pressure on the boiler is at zero. (this is my brothers house that he's just moved into) so don't even know if the rads work. Surely even if the rads are off the pressure would show on the gauge?
One last thing which one is the AAV?

Thanks

I haven't started yet and the pressure on the boiler is at zero.

Shouldnt need to do any draining then. Have a few towels handy though. ;)

One last thing which one is the AAV?

The Automatic Air Vent. It will be on the boiler, either towards the top or above the pump.

P46.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back