Remove radiator?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to remove a radiator to take tiles off behind it & then re-board, plaster & paint the wall. It has a drain valve, would it be ok to empty the radiator through that? The radiator will be taken off for about a week so after taking it off would it be ok to cap the thermostatic valve & still use the heating for other rads in the house? I have a combi boiler.

Sponsored Links
There are different types of drain cocks. Unless yours is between the radiator and one of its valves,it's more likely to drain the system. Show us a pic.
Once radiator is drained and removed ,cap it's valves ,the rest of the system will work as usual.

There are different types of drain cocks. Unless yours is between the radiator and one of its valves,it's more likely to drain the system. Show us a pic.
Once radiator is drained and removed ,cap its valves ,the rest of the system will work as usual.
F454F938-2008-4F53-A7DD-45A492840C69.jpeg3FEC1C50-6FA7-4BE1-A8C7-2B61ADD5278C.jpeg

Some of those combined valves allow the rad to be drained,without draining the system . What you need to do, as a trial ,is close both the radiator valves and open the drain cock ( square shaped part on the left). Drain out half a litre or so ,and go check the boiler pressure. If boiler pressure hasn't dropped ,you know the water has only drained from the radiator.
If no water flows out at all you may need open the rads bleed valve to allow air in to break a vacuum.

Sponsored Links
Some of those combined valves allow the rad to be drained,without draining the system . What you need to do, as a trial ,is close both the radiator valves and open the drain cock ( square shaped part on the left). Drain out half a litre or so ,and go check the boiler pressure. If boiler pressure hasn't dropped ,you know the water has only drained from the radiator.
If no water flows out at all you may need open the rads bleed valve to allow air in to break a vacuum.
What a strange reply from a pro that I totally respect, close the TRV end, then remove that plastic cap on the Lockshield end and use an adjustable spanner or grips of somesort and close the valve, then open the square bit on the valve with a hose connected or a bowl or something to catch the water , open the air vent and the rad will drain

What a strange reply from a pro that I totally respect, close the TRV end, then remove that plastic cap on the Lockshield end and use an adjustable spanner or grips of somesort and close the valve, then open the square bit on the valve with a hose connected or a bowl or something to catch the water , open the air vent and the rad will drain
So that won't drain the whole system as terry has said it may above?

To be clear ,It can be used to drain the system ,if the radiators valves are open.
If you close the radiators valves ,the drain cock can be used to drain just the radiator.
Which is what Ian has outlined above.

To be clear ,It can be used to drain the system ,if the radiators valves are open.
If you close the radiators valves ,the drain cock can be used to drain just the radiator.
Which is what Ian has outlined above.
On the TRV valve I have is it the big nut am I undoing or do I have to undo any of the others towards the left to the radiator? Also which cap & size do I need after I the rad is off & do I cap both sides or just the TRV?

To remove the radiator from the valves ,it is the nut nearest the radiator ( horizontally) that needs to be released.
The TRV cap nut required looks like 1/2 inch BSP. The lockshield 3/4 inch BSP cap nut.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back