Urgent !HELP! - Pump replaced correct way round ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I have recently replaced my central heating pump with a grundfos alpha. since doing so, my rads are getting nice and warm but the hot water only ever gets luke warm, no matter how long I have had the water timer switched on. I have a conventional bolier, fully pumped system with 3 port valve, and thermostat on the hot water cylinder set about 70 degrees.

My question is, if I have put the pump on the wrong way round, would this cause the above problems. The pump sits on the pipe from the cold water tank then branches off to the 3 port valve and hot water cylinder.

The pumps flow arrow is pointing down away from the pipe that is attached to the water tank. I foolishly did not note the orientation of the old pump before removing it !.

Sponsored Links
Depends where the boiler is! It should pump from the boiler towards the valves.

Sponsored Links
If it is all going in reverse and the heating is OK, the hot water should still be OK.
Boilers tend to overheat if the flow is reversed as the sensors are on the flow pipe.
I would imagine it's your 3 port valve that's at fault.

Saveme22 said:
Airlock in primary circuit?

Well done - easy to get distracted by someone's suggestion. Yours is the first question to be asked!

Vent at "V"
VentOnPrimaries.gif

hi. i think ive seen the vent, just a knurled nut. do i just open it and wait for air to escape?. heating on or off while doing this ?

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Airlock was the culprit. Loosened the vent screw above the hot water cylinder and a large gush off air came out. Water is now piping hot again.

Many thanks to all that replied :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back