urinals p v bottle traps and water saver time flush switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK. I know that I am taking a wee liberty... Pardon the pun! :LOL: BUT....
in as much that I profer my advice in this forum to DIY-ers I am bemused with regard to work undertaken by outside contractors for an organisation that I carry out 10-20 hrs per week as a general handyman and I would welcome your comments on a particular issue.
Approximately 15 months ago... the outside contractors that usually carry out and double check the dhw outlet temps (max 60 degs) and stored cold water (non potable) annually clean and sterilise the cwst's, empty the sani towel bins and issue health and safety certification ertc etc... were appointed to water saver time switches that serve 3 sets of urinels 15 in total. They also replaced the tub swiv p traps wi 40mm bottle traps and put tablet deodouriser cleaner plugs in the top of the urinal waste outlets.
Now, every 3 months or so the urinals discharge rate is so poor that MUGGINS (me) has to mask/vicks synex smeared mask and glove up to....??? :rolleyes: dismantle the bottle trap access to wire brush out all of the crystallised ureic acid and cleaner residue coz the water is spilling over the lip of the urinals :evil:
Consequently, the o ring has memory loss and now every time the timer flushes thru... water drips out of the bottom of the trap! :mad:
Now... I'm all for energy efficiency, reducing unecessary use of water and recycling....(especially copper and brass!) :p But... n here's the rub...
Surely the restricted channell(s) available in bottle traps over p traps combined with time/flush switches and the inevitable gunge from the soluble tablet dispensors leads to an inevitable accumulation of foul gunk! n mugins 'ere avin' to brush out the traps n rod the discharge pipes (40mm to 50mm to the soil)
Q? I mentioned this to the chappy at my local plumb merchants when I purchased 15 x 40mm tub swiv p's... and he concurred "I have also wondered why they fit bottle traps to urinals"
Funny what you notice and think about when you point percy at the porcelain...innit!

Sponsored Links
dunno why they use bottle traps , although they may look neater ?

u would not use one or be advised to use one on a sink unit / waste disposal unit ?

Timed urinal flushes , school we did some work for took em all out due to increased odour/smell in the urinals .

Hydrochloric acid will shift urinal residue , but use with extreme caution

how about water less urinals i.e non flushing use a special cartridge in the waste hole

All water saving measures cost money, and the sales people make them look good value.

But in practice, cost even more money in extra maintenance,

Cleaning the traps with a wire brush, you must be joking

+1 for a dose of Hydrochloric acid. and a good regular flush.

Thanks for your replies and comments folks!
Hydrolchloric acid! Oh my giddy aunt! :eek:
They wont let the cleaners use bleach!
I can't climb 6 foot step ladder without going on a course :LOL:
Even tho 20 years ago when I was young free n single mad n bad I did this!

http://www.supertopo.com/rock-climbing/Yosemite-Valley-Half-Dome-Regular-Northwest-Face

Comments re water saving are logged in the bank... fair comment.
Just beggars beleif!

If it aint broke, don't fix it

Sponsored Links
A 40mm bottle trap for a single **** pot is more than enough, the problem can be dry out of chemicals if the water is timed off for long periods of time.

Put a pet cock in and let it run 24h/d, minimal water savings in a commercial building is pointless.

I would not be cleaning the traps but replacing them , when I used to do plumbing work on blocked urinals we just replaced all pipework and traps.

You may well be cleaning the traps but if the pipes are slowing flow down its not helping one bit.

Bootle traps get my vote, saves chopping out the pipe work from p traps!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back