USA - Visa

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
From October 26, 2004 Apparently, if you have been convicted of, for example a simple speeding offence ...
Then obtain a machine readable passport, that conviction info will be contained in the machine readable page of passport.
This, apparently, means that 'the visa waiver' program does not apply, and a proper visa is required. This, it is said, could all take up to 26 weeks !!

So when is a minor speeding offence 'spent' ? See quote below 'rehab...'
10 yr passport obtained after conviction means that the offence remains on record, in the passport, for that document's life.

Quote :- Important: Some travelers may not be eligible to enter the United States visa free under the VWP. These include people who have been arrested, even if the arrest did not result in a criminal conviction, those with criminal records, (the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act does not apply to U.S. visa law)

Info Here
P

Sponsored Links
US law obviously takes precedent over ours..............come on mr blair...............shafting us again. The rehab act is 30 years old anyway

Note: Travelers with minor traffic offenses which did not result in an arrest and/or conviction for the offense may travel visa free, provided they are otherwise qualified

Hmmmm, most people I know of senior executive/director level have 6 points or more on their licences. Many UK industries are going to find it very hard to do business in the US now.

Perhaps we should think laterally on this one: the UK is harsh on speeders. Anyone who has ever driven on the continent knows that speed limits and traffic laws are seldom obeyed. The above is now giving an unfair advantage to European companies over UK companies as their employees are unlikely to have traffic convictions. Therefore, the UK government, in a bid to boost international commerce must relax the UK road traffic laws, especially speed limits. :idea:

I heard an interesting number the other day: 75% of the world's serial killers have been Americans. Perhaps we should impose restrictions on their entry into the UK, after all murder is a far greater danger than speeding. ;)

If transiting the United States to a destination in Canada, Mexico or the adjacent islands, the traveler may re-enter the United States on the return journey using any mode of transport, as long as the total visit, including both periods of time spent in transit and in Canada, Mexico or the adjacent islands, does not exceed 90 days.

If I was a Canadian or Mexican I would be rather puzzled by this: last time I checked Canada was a member of the Commonwealth, not the US. Perhaps the US has now realised that as a smaller country, it must pay homage to the larger country of Canada in its laws :LOL:

Sponsored Links
There we go ... For the normal law abiding citizen of this country .... many paths lead back to the awful truth that actually no one among the powers that be, cares if the citizen accquires a 'record' or not ... loses means of transport on a triviality --- 34 mph @ 3-00am empty 30 mph road --- I see a danger here, soon there'll be no mums and dads proudly informing their children that they have no 'record' ..... Apathy followed by couldn't care less .... A nation prepared to become convicted persons .... no fingers of pride being pushed into holes in the d ike (or dam) of behavioral standards deepens the s hit of a cra p society.
Beaurocrates are normally useless at practicalities .... I see no people just numbers in black and white .... no shades of reality grey!!
Rant (nearly)over ... and I don't have to go out in the rain !!
----------------------------
edit by P--- oh come on 'd ike' as in An embankment of earth and rock built to prevent floods
------------------------------This happens when computers are used to arbitrarily dispense justice or not as the case may or may not be, just in the harsh glare of a puny highlight irrespective of surroundings !!

P

Pip, I think you're being a touch paranoid - even though I share your concerns.

Under United States visa law people who have been arrested are required to declare the arrest when applying for a visa. If the arrest resulted in a conviction, the individual may be permanently ineligible to receive a visa. In order to travel, a waiver of the permanent ineligibility is required. The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act does not apply to United States visa law. Therefore, even travelers with a spent conviction are required to declare the arrest and/or conviction.

This would seem to indicate that you only run into problems if you've ever been arrested. A speeding penalty is not an arrestable offence. Mind you I've yet to put it to the test!

Note: Travelers with minor traffic offenses which did not result in an arrest and/or conviction for the offense may travel visa free, provided they are otherwise qualified

NB!! arrest and/or conviction

Edit :- We are talking visa waiver here not normal visa !!
P

I've been given to understand that the visa waiver program is to be phased out soon anyway.

At the end of the day, it is their perrogative to withdraw the programme or change the rules... It just seems to be a very silly thing to start taking into account. Has there been a spate of speeding Brits heading over to do Disney and driving at 100mph in built up areas? :LOL:

Perhaps we should introduce a law that US citizens who have been observed overtaking on the inside aren't allowed into the EU. :cool: Contrary to popular belief, undertaking in the US is just as much an offence as it is here, in most states.

In my student days I was queueing in the Victoria Coach Station ticket office. In front of me was an African woman who wanted to go to somewhere on the continent by coach. Of course, this involved going through France. So, she found out that despite her having a Visa for, let's say Germany, she also needed one for France. So, for what would be a simple matter for any EU citizen, she had to have 2 visas to take a bus. :eek: It shows that the right to travel freely is a right.

Oh dear, looks like a need a visa, it was in my distant past, I don't want to talk about it.... I was young OK !!
OK better come clean, Drunk and Disorderly, total tosh I hasten to add (well the disorderly bit anyway), bound over to keep the peace for one year. You have no idea the relief in getting that off my chest is :LOL:

Can't you just get a Mastercard instead? That's what my current credit card is...

pipme said:
Edward ... I bet you impressed the family with that ... you crim !!

Well the bind over bit prevents you from getting a record, I'd just graduated from uni, I shudder when I recall my mums reaction, ow!!

I seem to recall Johnny Vaughn was offered some high-rolling TV presenter job in the US, but had to decline due to a previous conviction for posession of a class A substance. Impossible for him to get a visa, let alone a work permit.

I wonder if that applies to being found D&D too ;) In PG Wodehouse's novels, Bertie Wooster always gets out of it by giving a false name and address before paying the fine... guess that doesn't work outside of 1920s fiction :LOL:

AdamW said:
I seem to recall Johnny Vaughn was offered some high-rolling TV presenter job in the US, but had to decline due to a previous conviction for posession of a class A substance. Impossible for him to get a visa, let alone a work permit.

I wonder if that applies to being found D&D too ;) In PG Wodehouse's novels, Bertie Wooster always gets out of it by giving a false name and address before paying the fine... guess that doesn't work outside of 1920s fiction :LOL:

No 'Cos I worked in the states for 6 months, mind you that was pre 9/11 or 11/9 whichever ! And a bind over prevents you having the stigma of having a criminal conviction.

Sponsored Links
Back